Tuesday, September 22, 2009

Steinfillers' Porter

Since I no longer have access to a cooler (mashtun) I decided to go back to a partial mash brew. The kit cost $28.95 without tax from Steinfillers in Long Beach -Cheap! I might only save 7 bucks doing a all-grain brew. Definitely worth the saved time and hassle for now until I have better equipment and can buy bulk grains and hops. I was also tired of weak beers due to poor mashing so I'm going back to the basics! Process was much easier and took about 4 hours.



Ingredients



Grains:

8 lbs. Pale Malt Extract
.50 lbs chocolate malt
.50 lbs crystal malt, 75* Lovibond
.25 lbs brown malt
.25 lbs black patent

Hops:

US Goldings (2 oz at 60 minutes)
Willamette (1 oz at finish)

Yeast:

Safale S-04 Ale Yeast



The suggested Original Gravity was 1.062 and FG was 1.015-1.018. I ended up with about 5.5 gallons minus some hops I left out of the fermenter. This would explain the slightly lower OG. The actual values:

OG: 1.061
FG:1.0241
ABV: 4.9%

No comments: